In 1895 Charles Deere, son of John Deere, founded The Moline Commercial Club. The club would meet regularly at member's homes until 1912 when an official location was designated and built. The Moline Commercial Club and its members became key components to developing the city's commercial interests.

Although Charles Deere died in 1907, his legacy in The Moline Commercial Club was fulfilled by those who followed after him. Ben Butterworth, a key supporter, was instrumental in the completion of The Moline Commercial Club building.

The historic Moline Club Ballroom is the only Arts and Craft or Prairie School style Ballroom available in the area which was popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright.

During the Great Depression, the Moline Commercial Club closed its doors and the building was eventually sold to the YMCA. For the next 60 years, the building would change ownership several times with little interest of revitalizing the building's legacy until its current owner.

The Moline Commercial Club building was bought by its current owner, Narveen S. Virdi, in September 1990. The building was restored in three phases. The first phase was the actual physical restoration of the building and opening its doors for banquets and wedding receptions in July 1991. The second phase was the establishment of a public forum sponsored by The Institute for Cultural and Healing Traditions, Ltd.The third and final phase was the restoration and opening of The Moline Commercial Clubin 2005.


FAQ
Club History
Testimonials
Directions
Blog
Home